Skip to main content

YUUKEI YESTERDAY III

 The height of summer.
    The sky out the window was a clear, crisp shade of blue, a giant cumulonimbus cloud looming from afar.

    “…I give up. I don’t get any of this at all…”

    The austere brutality of summer school was wreaking its full havoc on the classroom.
    Haruka smiled briskly as he worked his way through the stack of assignment sheets in front of him, but from my perspective, I was faced with a painful battle, one where I could barely manage to comprehend each individual question.

    Weeks had passed since the school festival. We were now both second-year students at the high school.
    Which didn’t count for much. Our class still comprised merely the two of us, Haruka and me, and regrettably the school didn’t boot out Mr. Tateyama and replace him with another teacher for us.
    The new school year meant a slow, steady rise in difficulty, and since I (to be totally honest here) wasn’t exactly a brainiac, my grades on every test always trended below average.

    “Oh, are you stuck on something, Takane? Want me to show it to you again?”
    Haruka was already at least twice as many sheets ahead of me, and just a moment ago, I had already tasted the humiliation of having him explain a problem I had no chance of comprehending.
    “Sh-shut up! I think I’m gonna have it in a little bit, so just keep quiet!”
    I tried my best to focus upon the worksheet, but I frankly had a hard time understanding much of anything written on it.
    This was supposed to be a math class, but there was all this English text on it. They were asking me to give not just an answer, but a formula, even. It was ridiculous.
    “Ha-ha-ha! Sorry, sorry. Not much point to it unless you figure it out by yourself as much as you can, huh? Well, hang in there!”
    Haruka raised a fist as he spoke, in a futile attempt at encouragement, before rattling through his sheets once again.
    Damn it…He could’ve spent at least a little more time on each of them.
    This wasn’t looking good. If this kept up, I’ll wind up being the only one left in the classroom again.
    Once he finished up his work, Haruka would no doubt approach me and ask, “Want some help?” like he always did.
    He really did just want to give me a helping hand, I assumed, but if I kept letting this happen, I’d lose whatever status I had left in his mind.
    So today, just as always, I’ll probably shoo Haruka away, saying something like “Just go home! I want to do this myself!”
    Ughh…What am I even doing? Thanks to my lack of academic skills and weird stubborn streak my precious summer break was being eaten away before my eyes.
    If my original plan was still under way, I would have spent today holed up inside my room, preparing for the tournament taking place in a few days. Having my time occupied like this was something I never even dreamed of.
    “What am I gonna do? I must be so out of practice by now…I haven’t logged in for two days straight. Maybe I should just skip this championship…”
    As I griped to myself, head slapping against the stack of worksheets as I brought it down to the table, Haruka was busily preparing to turn in his own sheets, each one filled to brimming with his handwritten answers.
    “Wha?! You got done so quick! N-no way! Are you going home?!”
    Without thinking, the words shot out of my mouth, as if the idea of Haruka leaving would fill me with loneliness. In a panic, I tried to correct myself, but Haruka plopped his bag onto his desk apparently unfazed.
    “Oh, guess so, huh…? Well, go stuff your mouth as much as you want then, I guess. I can handle these problems by myself, you know?”
    I found myself going overboard trying to act like I didn’t care. But as I crossed my arms to drive the point home, Haruka next to me replied, “Huh? I’m not going anywhere,” as he took a laptop PC from his backpack.
    Shortly he turned it on, typing his password into the login screen like he’d done it thousands of times before. Once he wrapped that up, the title screen of a game flashed on, displaying a white- haired character with a black necklace captioned “Konoha” on the bottom.
    “W-whoa whoa whoa! What’re you doing?! You’re gonna start playing here? Right next to me?!”
    “Sure am! The championship’s coming up, right? Besides, if I play next to you, that oughta inspire you to get through those worksheets and join me, wouldn’t it?”
    “No! You’re just gonna distract me, and…ugghhh, I can’t take this anymore! I wanna play, too! Lemme borrow that a sec!”
    “Agh! Wait, you can’t! I gotta get you to finish that work first! Hey!!”

    Indeed—the game Haruka launched was the game I was trying to qualify for in the upcoming tournament.
    Ever since the school festival ended, Haruka began to explore topics he had no business exploring, eventually leading him to the realm of online gaming.
    I paid him no mind at first, reasoning that he’d get bored and quit within a few days. But Haruka grew more addicted the more time he invested in them. Then he began to post serious results.
    Now, he was a fairly famous player in this game, raising his skills to the point where he was actually one of the favorites to win it all in this next tournament.
    …And it all started the night after the school festival came to a close.


    “…Well, at the end of the day…it was kinda fun, wasn’t it? The festival.”
    “Yeah, well, there were a lot of traumatic experiences for me along the way, but…Ooh! Hey, this steamed bun is crazy good!”
    “Ooh, rrrph thinh tha’ looph riuhh goohh, too.”
    “Ew! Stop being gross, Haruka! You could at least swallow before you start talking! And Mr. Tateyama, how many drinks have you had? I don’t remember inviting you in here!”
    The three of us—myself, Haruka, and Mr. Tateyama—were here enjoying dinner together.
    Haruka had polished off all the food he picked up with astonishing speed, and he and I then hurriedly cleaned all the festival gear out of the classroom, marking a final rushed end to our school- festival experience.
    I made sure to kick Haruka every time he called me “Ene” during the cleaning work, but he didn’ seem to quite understand that I was angry at him. It served to enrage me even further.
    After that, just as we wrapped up the work, Mr. Tateyama appeared as if on cue. “Hey,” he said, “the hero of the day always arrives late, right?” I was just as liberal with the kicks for him as I was with Haruka, and to apologize for his late arrival, he made a dinner reservation for us.

    “Boy, that’s really something, though, yeah? Like, ‘Holy Nightmare’ and all that? The way you mow down all those bad guys, Ene?”
    “I told you, don’t call me by that name again! Ugghh…I hate this…”
    The Chinese restaurant we visited on my suggestion didn’t seem to be housing any of the wrap parties held by other classes, likely because it was a fair distance away from our school.
    I placed my elbows in what little space in front of me wasn’t stacked high with plates, burying my face in my hands as I groaned in agony.
    “Hah hah hah! You finally got exposed, huh, Takane? Well, you know, it’s not like you’re doing anything bad, so don’t get so worked up about it, Ene—oww !
    I landed a punch on Mr. Tateyama’s upper arm and heaved out a sigh before draining the orange juice in front of me out of sheer abandon.
    “Yeah! You don’t have to hide it or anything! But you know, that name…You took ‘Ene’ from your own name, right? Like, the first ‘E’ from ‘Enomoto’ and the last ‘ne’ from ‘Takane.’”
    “Well…yeah, but…but what’s that matter?”
    “What’s it matter? I dunno, it just seemed kinda neat. Like, it seems sort of cool, having another name that isn’t your real one. I wanna come up with one, too!”
    Haruka’s voice was sprinkled with excitement as he eagerly awaited the next round of food. He’d easily eaten enough to feed an entire family and more, and yet he showed no ill effects. In fact, the mysterious forces lurking within his stomach had allowed him to keep his eating pace steady the entire night. It was downright creepy.
    “So what about the other one? ‘Dancing Flash’? Does that have something to do with you—whoa Wait, wait! I’m sorry! Just put your fist down!”
    I silenced the overly talkative Mr. Tateyama with the threat of coercive force. The clock was already nearing eight p.m., but with tomorrow the last day of a three-day weekend, we still had ample time on our hands.
    “Handle names are just something you make up on the fly, okay? You don’t have to analyze them like that. It’s just embarrassing.”
    I griped at the apparent abuse they were throwing at me, rapidly pecking away at the chili-infused shrimp put on my plate before Haruka ate it all up.
    “Hey, I wanna come up with one, too! I’m Haruka Kokonose, so…how about ‘Konoha’?” “Sure. Whatever. Great to meet you, Konoha.”
    I gave him as pat a response as I could, but Haruka was unexpectedly and very oddly impassioned by it. “Oooooh!” he chirped. “I really like the sound of that…! I think I’ll start spreading my name around tonight!”

—Which leads us to today.
    “But that’s not fair! You can’t just play by yourself and boost your skills without me…I wanna play, too!”
    “Well, that’s kinda your fault, isn’t it, Takane? I already got all my worksheets done, so…I’ll play together with you once you’re done, so get cracking, okay?”
    Haruka was right, no matter how you sliced it, and all I could do was whine like a child with my “but’s” and “come onnnn’s.”
    It was another stark reminder of the difference between myself, a below-average student out of sheer laziness, and Haruka, who fully devoted himself to studying but still had to attend summer school with me.
    No, Haruka wasn’t here in school for remedial classes. Anyone who could finish up those worksheets with that kind of speed would be considered near the top of his class—grade-wise, anyway.
    His behavior in class was impeccable, of course, and he certainly wasn’t special-needs in terms of the course work he could tackle. But Haruka lagged far behind his peers in one important field: attendance.

    In December of last year, Haruka organized an impromptu Christmas party, fielding myself and Mr. Tateyama to help out.
    It was right around Haruka’s birthday, too, so I remember making a serious effort to pick out a present for him, in hopes of giving him the surprise of his life. I saved up what little allowance I could, forcing myself to go through the heartbreaking task of spending it on someone else. But whenever the image of a grateful Haruka flashed into my mind, I felt an odd sense of excitement about it all.

    —But on the day of the party, Haruka had an attack of some sort and collapsed.

    Luckily, he was immediately taken to a hospital, preventing any serious consequences from happening.
    By the time Mr. Tateyama and I reached him, Haruka was already in the middle of eating his fifth tray of hospital food. Despite this obvious sign of good health, the clinic decided to admit him anyway.
    Haruka was discharged after about a week and was back to his usual healthy self at school after winter break, but a month later, he was readmitted to the hospital after another attack.
    This time around, he faced a much more arduous recovery, requiring him to remain under hospital treatment for about a month.
    But Haruka was concerned far less about his health than he was about the online game he was heavily into at the time. “I have to get outta here and start practicing again,” he’d tell me upon every visit.
    We both went up to the next class year soon afterward, but Haruka continued to have small episodes of poor health—not enough for a hospital stay, but enough to keep him out of class more and more over time.
    Now Haruka was stuck in summer school, making up for enough sick days to ensure he met the minimum attendance requirement.
    He never complained about it—“It’s actually a lot of fun,” he’d say, “as long as you’re in class with me”—but I couldn’t guess what he really thought about it, inside.

    —As for myself…I didn’t really know.
    “Ooh, hey, there’s a new weapon available! Must be some kinda pre-tournament bonus. Oh, man, should I buy it or what?”
    There was nothing that indicated Haruka was depressed, at least, as he excitedly stared at the screen in front of him.
    Though, looking back, I had never seen him anything even close to depressed. Not even once.
    Even when I was the only classmate he had left, even when we were benched from the sports meet he was looking forward to for lack of team members, even when he was forced out of class and into the hospital, he was always smiling.
    And watching him smile would always enrage me, exasperate me…and, gradually, enrapture me.
    “Hey, Haruka…?”
    “Hmm? What’s up? Uh, give me one sec, okay? I got a match starting up!”
    Haruka was devoted heart and soul to the fight, not taking his eyes off the screen for a moment.
    Watching him as he played, muttering to himself in a soft voice, was like watching an innocent child.
    …He really doesn’t have a care in the world, does he? But if he’s gonna stay late like this, it wouldn’t hurt him to pay at least a little more attention to me.
    With a sharp intake of breath, I affixed my gaze back to my worksheet, but the gunfire from the seat next to me made it frankly impossible to concentrate.
    This was proving to be no “inspiration” at all. In fact, the distraction was having the exact opposite effect.
    I glared at him, entertaining the idea of forcing him out of the classroom, but the sight of him paying no attention at all to his surroundings drained any anger I had within me.
    No longer interested in my assignments, I propped my head up with my hand as I rolled my mechanical pencil around. Suddenly, a great idea popped into my mind. I rose up, thrust a hand into the bag propped against my desk, and took out my headphones.
    …If I put these on and try to act like I don’t care about him, maybe that’ll throw him enough to stop playing.
    When someone goes into his own little world like that, anyone attempting to do anything with him is doomed to remain alone and unappreciated. And whatever world Haruka was in, it wasn’t this one anymore.
    Fitting the headphones on my head, I plugged the cord into the phone in my pocket.
    I thought a moment about what to listen to, but since nothing in particular came to mind, I turned on the radio app. Light, easy-listening jazz began to play.
    Turned away from Haruka, I put my face on the desk, closing my eyes as I turned my ears toward the music.
    Haruka has to notice this and speak up sooner or later. Then I could fire back with something like “Bother me later! I’m busy listening to the radio!”
    It was the perfect plan. I mentally patted myself on the back as a grin escaped my lips.
    …But, after a few moments, I heard nothing from Haruka.
    For the first few minutes, I serenely refused to think about him, figuring he would talk to me before too much longer.
    But once the minutes went into the teens, I came to realize exactly how impatient I truly was.
    …He’s late. Really late.
    I no longer paid any attention to the peppy jazz playing on the radio, continually fighting the ever- present urge to fling myself back toward Haruka’s direction.
    All too soon, after about twenty minutes, I had reached my limit. “Ugh…ugghhhh…this is so borrrrring. I should just go hoooome…”
    I muttered it to myself, not turning around, my last-ditch attempt at resisting the urge.
    The sense of embarrassment in my mind ballooned upon realizing just how childish and embarrassing it sounded.
    Crap. Why am I putting myself through all of this for his sake?
    It’s not like he’s an innocent bystander. In fact, he’s being downright cruel, still ignoring me after all this time.
    Or am I really that unattractive to him…?
    This new inroad my mind laid for me led to an odd sense of anxiety. I was gripped by a desire to check the still-silent Haruka’s facial expression.
    Forgetting my patience at the shock of this sudden impulse, I removed the headphones and turned toward Haruka.
    “Hey! Hellooooo?…Haruka?”
    Back in this world, with the headphones off and the music gone, the only thing I heard was the in- game soundtrack.
    The gunfire had abated, and I couldn’t even hear the sound of Haruka jabbing away at the controller.

    —Haruka was slumped in his seat, hands spread downward, head flopped to one side…and silent.

    “H-Haruka!!”
    In a flash, I realized this was an emergency. I stood up in a panic as I shook Haruka’s body.
    But he didn’t respond, his body losing its support as if all of his internals had suddenly gone off somewhere.
    My mind went blank. My knees began to shake, and tears began to fall out of pure terror. “No…no, you’re kidding me…! H-hey! Someone! Is anybody around?!”
    I shouted out the classroom door as I supported the slumped body of Haruka.
    But there was no response. It was summer break inside a nearly unpopulated school, and the area our classroom was in saw even less foot traffic. I wasn’t going to be that lucky.
    “Please, somebody…Somebody, help…!”
    My brain had already grown incapable of making rational decisions. All I could do was hold Haruka’s slumped body.
    That was because I felt like, if I took my hands off him now, he’d go off somewhere far away, someplace where I’d never see him again.
    “Oh, God…!”
    The moment after I let out that would-be prayer, the classroom door burst open. “It’s all right,” said the familiar man dressed in white,
    —as he slowly took a firm grasp on Haruka’s body.


The hospital waiting room was caught in the grasp of a dark, heavy air.
    Occasionally I could hear nurses scuttling to and fro, startling me every time they did.

    Haruka had been taken to a large general hospital, built on top of a hill several months ago.
    Mr. Tateyama and I sat atop a long bench placed in front of the emergency room.

    The handkerchief I gripped in my hand had long grown heavy with moisture, but the tears kept falling from both of my eyes.
    “Mr. Tateyama…do…do you think Haruka will wake up? Is…is he gonna get better?”
    I threw the question I had thrown at Mr. Tateyama I don’t know how many times before. I knew all I was doing was bothering my teacher with it by this point.
    But Mr. Tateyama smiled. “He’s made it this far,” he said as he smiled and gave me a pat on the back. “I’m sure he’ll be fine.”

    I wonder if my grandmother felt this same way, in the waiting room back when I was admitted to whatever hospital that was long ago.
    It felt like you were walking down a tunnel, face turned downward, and the exit was nowhere in sight.
    “I’m sure he’ll be fine.”
    I tried to turn my mind in that direction, but the terror I couldn’t wipe away forced me to imagine the worst despite myself.
    If I had noticed something, anything earlier than I did, maybe Haruka wouldn’t be like this righ now.
    Thanks to my idiotic stubbornness, Haruka was now suffering all by himself.
    Maybe, up to the point when he lost consciousness, Haruka was trying to get my help.
    And yet I…I just had to…!

    I had never loathed myself so much before now.
    Tears fell onto the hand holding my handkerchief, forming streams across my fingers as they made their way downward.

    —No. Someone like me, someone incapable of doing anything, had no right to be near Haruka, no right to worry about him.
    What could I possibly say to Haruka when he wakes up?
    Could I actually forgive myself for saying “I’m glad you’re okay” or “I was worried for you”?
    The only thing that mattered to me was myself. Pretending at a time like this that I always cared about him, passing myself off as some pure and innocent thing in front of the plain facts, was just one step beyond forgiving.

    If Mr. Tateyama hadn’t come for me, I wouldn’t have been able to do anything.
    I was so powerless, so selfish.

    The light on top of the emergency room flipped off.
    The automatic door opened, and Haruka’s doctor, dressed in surgery scrubs, appeared.
    Mr. Tateyama shot upward, running up to the doctor and starting to converse with him about something, but the anxiety and fear within my mind had frozen me to the bench.
    Unable to tell what they were saying, I simply watched the two of them as they spoke.

    “…I see. Well, all right. Do your best.”
    Mr. Tateyama bowed his head. The doctor whispered a few parting words before disappearing down the hallway.
    “Mr. Tateyama…Haruka…!”
    I tugged at the hem of my teacher’s white shirt, my mind still a blank. Mr. Tateyama looked a tad relieved.
    “…He’s still asleep, but I guess they managed to save his life.” He thunked himself heavily down next to me.
    The light sweat that covered his forehead dripped down onto his white collar.
    Hearing that brought me a great sense of relief.
    Haruka was alive. The thought elated me, to the point that nothing else seemed to matter.
    But then my stomach was gripped by an intense pain. Haruka’s smiling face, the familiar image that had etched itself into my mind, felt like something no longer within reach.

    …He might not even want to see me any longer.

    Maybe he hated me. He was suffering in that classroom, and I did nothing to help him.
    If he was awake right now, I wonder what kind of face he would’ve made upon catching sight of me.
    Dwelling on that scenario made me feel completely, frighteningly helpless.

    “Mr. Tateyama…I better go get Haruka’s things…”
    “Mm? Oh, yeah, I guess we left his wallet and phone back there, huh…? You gonna be okay by yourself, though?”
    “I’ll be fine…Just make sure you’re nearby Haruka in case he wakes up.”
    I stood up off the bench and headed for the emergency-room reception office.
    What am I running from here? Whatever it was, I simply had to get away.

    The moment I left the reception area at the end of the hallway, I felt the murky outdoor air surround my body.

    The tears just barely started to come back, now that I was alone, but I put on my headphones—still dangling from my neck—and walked on, not taking a single look back.


It was already nightfall by the time I reached school.
    The whine of the cicadas had died down compared to the afternoon, the temperature considerably lower from daytime.
    But thanks to my hurried pace on the way to school, the shirt of my uniform was wet with sweat, sticking uncomfortably to my back.

    Changing to my indoor school slippers, I went out into the hallway, heading down the right side into the lab wing.
    The school had grown even quieter than when we left it.
    Give it another hour, and it’d no doubt be completely covered in darkness.

    It was funny to think that nearly a year had passed since that crazy school festival, where we had dozens of people jostling each other up and down this hallway.
    Between all the weird gamer fans clamoring for a match and that ghostlike girl in the morning, that day was a roller-coaster ride from start to finish. It was the day Haruka first got into online gaming, too, not to mention the first time I had a chance to make a female friend. And then…

    “Oh, hey, Takane, haven’t seen you in a while. What’s up?”
    I removed my headphones, startled by the sudden voice.
    Turning around, I found a young woman standing there, bundled up in a red scarf despite the summer weather.
    “Oh! Hi, Ayano. Good to see you. But what’re you doing in school?”
    “Well…” she replied, acting oddly embarrassed.
    I didn’t know what she meant at first, but for someone like Ayano, who wasn’t involved in any extracurricular activities, there’s only one thing she’d be doing in school at a time like this.
    “…Are you in summer school, too, Ayano? Even though you’re a first-year student?”
    “Yeahhh, kind of. My grades are already looking pretty dire, so…”
    She ejected a strained, creepy little chuckle as she stared down on the floor.
    Judging by her dull, lifeless eyes, Ayano wasn’t lying—she must have been in serious academic trouble.
    “…Yeah, I’ve sure been there before.”
    “Oh, yeah, I guess my dad mentioned that you were taking summer classes, too, huh, Takane?”
    …That teacher just has no idea when to keep his mouth shut. It’s not like he has the right to say whatever crosses his mind just because it’s his own daughter.
    “Yeah, uh, better not dwell on it too much, okay? Not like either of us wants to be here, so…Oh, by the way, is he, like, not here today?”
    I looked around the hallway, checking to see if the creep who exuded that weird aura all the time was nearby. But everything seemed clear in that respect.
    “You mean Shintaro? No way. He’s way too smart to be going to something like summer school…”
    Ayano’s voice notably tensed up the moment the conversation turned toward Shintaro. She was beyond easy to read that way.
    “Oh yeah? That smart, huh? That must make it all the tougher for you, I bet…having to deal wit that selfish creep all the time.”
    “Huh? Ohhh, he’s not really like that, Takane. He’s really a good guy, once you start talking to him. Just kind of shy, is all.”
    Ayano capped off her evaluation with a grin.
    Oof. With that kind of personality, this girl’s gonna go through a lot of strife in the future. He seemed like nothing but a self-absorbed brat to me, but to her, it must have all seemed cute or something.
    “Really? Huh. Well, it’d be nice if he was a little more friendly and outgoing toward others, at least. You know? He must be really happy, having someone like you nearby to spoil him all day.”
    As I spoke, Ayano’s expression clouded a bit for some reason.
Perhaps I brought up something I shouldn’t have touched upon? That wasn’t my intention at all.
    “…Nah, I wouldn’t be any good for him. He needs someone even more self-absorbed than him someone with enough energy to pull him toward her. Myself, the best I do is latch on to him from behind. I can’t do anything like that.”
    Ayano squeaked out a laugh and scratched her head as she spoke. I had trouble believing that anyone could be more selfish than that guy. He was headstrong; he thought only about himself; he was frustratingly elusive, never revealing what he really thought about people…Hang on a minute…?
    “Oh, no way…”
    “Huh? What was that?”
    “Wha? N-no! No! Nothing! Just something I thought about! But, anyway, sorry to stop you here Ayano. Better get back home soon, right?”
    In a mad flurry, I waved my hand in an attempt to drop the topic.
    “Oh, no, I’m glad we got a chance to talk. You know…I was thinking about leaving in a moment, but since we’re here anyway, you wanna maybe go home together?”
    “Well, I kinda can’t…Haruka’s had an episode today. Our teacher’s at the hospital right now, but I have to go and get all his stuff from the classroom…”
    Ayano’s eyebrows arched as she heard this. She bowed courteously in response.
    “Oh! I-I’m sorry I stopped you, then! You better head back as soon as possible, right? Is Haruka doing all right…?”
    “Oh, no problem! He isn’t awake yet, but they said his life isn’t in danger or anything, and Mr. Tateyama’s there for him, so I’m good. Besides…I’d just be in the way over there anyway…”
    The words I blurted out pained me inside, proving to be far more self-deprecating than I intended. Why did I have to say that? It’s not like Ayano has anything to do with this.
    “…Is something wrong, Takane? I mean, no way Haruka would think you’re in the way or anything, right?”
    “Yeah, but…I dunno. I’d just feel weird, being near him right now. Really, I almost wish I could just deliver his stuff to the hospital and head home after that…”
    All this pointless moping was even exasperating me by now. This isn’t how I really felt. I couldn’t have been.
    I shot a glance at Ayano, only to find her normal, good-natured expression replaced with one of anger, her cheeks puffed out just a little.
    It was my first encounter with this face, and it startled me.
    “Takane, you’re being far too dishonest with yourself. With your own emotions. You know full well what you really want to do, but you’re pinning the blame on Haruka instead because you’re scared, aren’t you?”
    I was overwhelmed by the sharpness behind Ayano’s glare.
    “N-no, I…”
    “Yes. Yes, it is. You need to see Haruka and tell him how you honestly feel. And also…”
    Ayano began to look disconsolate, as if just remembering something.
    She took a short breath, giving her time to weave together the rest of the sentence.
    “…There are times you want to tell someone something, but you wind up being too late. That’s not gonna happen if you do it right now. So try to drum up a little courage, okay?”
    Her face returned to its normal serene expression.
    “Ayano…”
    “And, look, if he brushes you off, I got a shoulder you can cry on, you know? I better get going now.”
    I thought I had calmed myself down a bit, but Ayano’s send-off made my face glow red as my emotions swelled back up to the surface.
    I tried to make excuses for myself out of sheer embarrassment, but Ayano was already away, briskly walking over to the shoe lockers.
    “Wait, I…I…Man, she really told me off…”
    I sullenly dropped my head as Ayano left my sight before walking off toward the science storage room.

    …How I honestly feel.
    I had grown so accustomed to trying to cover it up, I honestly had trouble sizing up what I felt exactly.
    It was too thorny a problem for me. I had no idea what I wanted to do.
    Really, it was fine by me if things could be like they were before—the same classroom, the same day-in, day-out routine.
    So wouldn’t it be best if I didn’t try to make any waves? Just kept quiet and moved forward like normally would?
    —I could feel the conflict swirl and churn in my heart.
    It’s true. This has happened a million times before.
    And every time, I’d act like this, not telling him anything about my feelings, right up to this moment.
    But is this really the best thing for us…?

    The familiar door to the science storage room stood before me.
    Every day, I’d throw this door open, and another day full of stress and anxiety would unfold.
    I took a breath and opened it up.
    “Morning, Takane!”
    The moment I blinked…I was struck by the feeling he had spoken to me, but all that was in the empty classroom was the abandoned video game and the mountain of study guides we had left on our desks.
    My heart beat loudly and clearly in my mind.
    Perhaps this was what I was searching for the whole time.

    I flew out into the hallway.

    Now I finally understand…

    All this time, the thing I wanted to tell him.

    And now I can say it.

    Yes, I can finally say it now…

    A torrent of emotions flooded my chest as I tried to reach him before another second elapsed. I planted my foot down on the ground—

    
…or I tried to.

    Suddenly, the hallway walls began to warp and bend before me, the floor approaching my head at alarming speed.
    My body crashed to the floor with enough force to generate a rebound.

    “Agh…ngh…Ah…!”
    I had trouble breathing well.
    I tried to move, but the best I could manage was to twitch my fingers a little.
    …No, not now, of all times…!
    The fear I had nearly forgotten now held absolute reign over my mind.
    At the same time, an unreasonably overpowering sense of drowsiness stole my consciousness away.
    …No. Stop it. Stop it!
    As my consciousness faded further and further, unable to put up any resistance, the last thing my eyes caught sight of was a hazy figure standing before me in the hallway.

    —What’s that guy doing here?
    There’s no way he should be here at all.
    I was no longer able to discern who it was. My time limit was about to run dry.
    Ayano’s prophetic words sprung back to mind: “There are times you want to tell someone something, but you wind up being too late.”
    I am such a complete idiot. I had the simplest of all things to tell him, and I took too much time for it.
    Until the final moment when my slipping consciousness flickered out, I kept repeating the words within myself.


“—Haruka, I love you.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kagerou Daze, Vol. 1_ In a Daze

YUUKEI YESTERDAY II

“Daaang…That girl’s beat thirty-seven in a row…”     “Yeah, I heard from some guy that she actually placed second nationwide in a Dead Bullet -1989- tournament.”     “Dude! Really?! You mean ‘Dancing Flash Ene’?! Man, no wonder she’s so dialed in like that. Whoa, check it out, she beat her high score again! …But why’s she crying, though?”     The science storage room was undoubtedly witnessing the most exciting scene it had ever hosted since the school’s opening.     I kept a firm grip on my controller, unable to wipe the tears away from my eyes.     No matter how hard things got, once I picked up the controller, there was nothing that could take my hands off of it.     That was the credo I lived by as a gamer, something that lay at the root of my personality, and I wasn’t sure I could do anything to break the habit any longer.     The big-screen monitor displayed a hand holding a gun at the bottom, twisting left or right based on my controller input as it shot down the barrage of tar

HEADPHONE ACTOR IV

Did my last words make it through?      I no longer had any way of knowing, but they must have. It felt like they did.      I felt oddly strange.      As if I was flying through the sky, or was suspended in a body of lukewarm water…      Indeed, as if I had just woken up from something or other.      My near-exhausted breath, my legs racked with pain, the sense of drowsiness that seemed to forever frustrate me…I didn’t feel any of it now.      Did I die, I wonder?      Is this seemingly infinite darkness what the afterlife is supposed to be…?      I had imagined something a bit more like a fairy tale, somehow. God must’ve fallen asleep at the wheel.      He could have at least turned the lights on for me…      “Ugh, this is making no sense at all to…Huh?! Ah! Ah, ahhh…! Wow, I can talk. Nngh…and I… have a body, too.”      I patted down my body from head to toe, but it seemed I still retained full control of my body and voice.      “Okay, so where am I, then? It doesn’t seem like I’m lo