Skip to main content

HEADPHONE ACTOR III

There was no longer anyone around me.

    The setting sun, cut off from view by the buildings up to now, was perfectly visible from here.
    Its light, bathing the entire world in crimson, seemed like a furious flame, ready to burn everything in sight.

    Running up a steep avenue, I made it to the apex of the hill, almost out of breath.

    On the other end of the headphones, the voice that had guided me this far muttered something to me. But I couldn’t make it out. I was too focused on catching my breath once more.

    I imagine it was just about the time I was told everything would expire, fade off into oblivion. Or maybe that time had already passed long ago.

    But, at top of the hill I had clambered up, there was nothing.
    To be more accurate, there was a massive sky spread before me, drawn atop an equally massive wall.

    “…No. This isn’t it.”

    I felt a tremendous sense of discomfort. There was something that should be here, exactly what I couldn’t quite remember—but it wasn’t.
    My ragged breath gradually returned to its normal rhythm.
    As it did, the cause behind this discomfort faintly began to grow clear.

    —It wasn’t that something wasn’t here.
    It’s that she wasn’t here.

    “And I thought I could finally tell her, too…”

    The words unconsciously fell out of my mouth.
    My shadow, long and stretched out over the ground, began to dim. The sun was almost completely below the horizon.

    “I guess…I guess this was doomed from the start. This was the last place left, the only place I could have ever told her, and now…”

    The words coming from my headphones seemed to speak for my own mind, a mind still unable to recall everything.

    “Everything’s already over! It’s…it’s just…everything! All over!”

    —It’s time to give it up.
    I will never have the chance to see her again.
    I was already aware of that.

    “If…if this is the kind of world I’m doomed to live in, then—!”

    You don’t have to say that, do you?
    Maybe you weren’t on time,
    but at the very end of it all,
    —you came to realize where your own emotions lay.


By the time I turned myself around, the city was experiencing its final moments. On the other side from the enclosed sky as it crumbled to the ground, I left my final words to her. “I’m sorry…Takane.”



I gazed at the carcass of the program as it burned itself away, my consciousness growing faint. The words I heard from the other side of the headphones were more than enough to lull me back to sleep.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MEKAKUSHI CHORD

The water softly coursed down my body, lapping at each and every curve. It was the shower I had longed for ever since early this morning, but I never expected it under these circumstances.     Here I was, in a shadowy organization’s secret base, myself and my phone covered in hot tea, deluged with apologies all the way to the bathroom.     It sounds all the more strange when put into text form. I suppose truth really is stranger than fiction…or a TV drama script.     Once out of the shower, I returned to the main room, wiping my hair dry. TheF three of them turned toward me for a moment, but quickly returned to normal.     The old clock hung on the wall ticked away, its pendulum swinging back and forth.     It was just past eleven thirty in the morning.     “Hey, thanks for lending me these clothes and everything…”     “Nah, nah. This was our fault in the first place. But, man, what ...

愛言葉Ⅳ

  愛言葉 あいことば Ⅳ   想像 ( そうぞう ) なんてしてなかった 現状 ( げんじょう )   君 ( きみ ) もそう 思 ( おも ) った?   “ 最 ( さい ) 高 ( こう ) ”で 止 ( と ) まらないように 更新 ( こうしん ) したい   叶 ( かな ) えたい 夢 ( ゆめ ) まであとどれくらい?  誰 ( だれ ) も 行 ( おこな ) ったことがない 場所 ( ばしょ ) へ たどり 着 ( つ ) くまでは“ 僕 ( ぼく ) ら 止 ( と ) まれない” たぶんしんどいけど、どうかよろしくね   ねえねえ たまに メ ( め ) ー デ ( で ) ー  僕 ( ぼく ) だけじゃ 作 ( つく ) れない モノ ( もの ) 僕 ( ぼく ) とか 君 ( きみ ) とかあたしとか  恋 ( こい ) とか 愛 ( あい ) とかまとめて 全部 ( ぜんぶ ) 君 ( きみ ) を 置 ( お ) いてどっかに 行 ( い ) っちゃうとか ありえないよ   君 ( きみ ) がくれた 音 ( おと ) に  弾 ( はじ ) けた 火花 ( ひばな ) に 初 ( はじ ) めましてから ずっと 恋 ( こい ) しちゃってるんだよ 君 ( きみ ) のいない 未来考 ( みらいかんが ) えらんないよ これから 先 ( さき ) も 二人 ( ふたり ) がいいじゃん   一途 ( いちず ) になるほど  逃 ( に ) げたくもなったよ 散々 ( さんざん ) な 僕 ( ぼく ) のこと  呼 ( よ ) んでくれてありがとう 君 ( きみ ) のいない 未来考 ( みらいかんが ) えらんないよ これから 先 ( さき ) も 二人 ( ふたり ) で、それがいいじゃん   妄想 ( もうそう )   膨 ( ふく ) らんでく スト ( すと ) ー リ ( り ) ー 感傷 ( かんしょう )  やけに 凹 ( へこ ) んじゃって 代償 ( だいしょう )   求 ( もと ) め 過 ( す ) ぎはやーよ 終 ( お ) ...

YUUKEI YESTERDAY II

“Daaang…That girl’s beat thirty-seven in a row…”     “Yeah, I heard from some guy that she actually placed second nationwide in a Dead Bullet -1989- tournament.”     “Dude! Really?! You mean ‘Dancing Flash Ene’?! Man, no wonder she’s so dialed in like that. Whoa, check it out, she beat her high score again! …But why’s she crying, though?”     The science storage room was undoubtedly witnessing the most exciting scene it had ever hosted since the school’s opening.     I kept a firm grip on my controller, unable to wipe the tears away from my eyes.     No matter how hard things got, once I picked up the controller, there was nothing that could take my hands off of it.     That was the credo I lived by as a gamer, something that lay at the root of my personality, and I wasn’t sure I could do anything to break the habit any longer.     The big-screen monitor displayed a hand holding a g...