Skip to main content

HEADPHONE ACTOR I

Within the dim, dusky corridor, I stood, accompanied only by my shadow.


    Until just a moment ago, I could hear the radio station leaking out from the headphones hanging around my neck.
    Now all I could hear was noise. That, and something that resembled a person’s voice.
    Something had plainly changed. Concerned, I tried putting on my headphones.

    —The crackling, intermittent voice slowly, gradually began to form coherent speech.
    It sounded like a press conference held by the president of some country or other.
    It was an exaggerated voice, affected for speech purposes, and a machinelike interpreter lagging a bit behind.
    The static made listening difficult, but one could still manage to discern it.

    “…It is with heartfelt regret that…by the…today…the Earth will…to an end.”

    When the voice came to a stop, it was greeted with a steady stream of shouting and seemingly meaningless gibberish.
    Even through the headphones, the blubbering, panic-driven desperation of the audience was all too clear.

    Beyond the red-tinged window, a large flock of birds had completely blocked the newly risen crescent moon from the deep violet sky, like a horde of black ants.
    Removing my headphones and shooting a glance at the room I just left, I saw an abandoned video game and a mountain of study guides, both shining orange from the setting sun.

    What was I doing up to now?
    I had the impression I was speaking with someone until just a minute ago, but I couldn’t even remember who.

    “…This has to be some kind of joke.”

    I whispered it to myself, trying to will myself into believing it, as I opened one of the windows lining the corridor. I was greeted with a loud, shrill siren, like none I had heard before, along with the screaming and ranting of people.
    The din steadily grew louder and louder, enveloping the entire city.
    My lips quivered as my teeth clattered against each other.
    I am alone.
    There’s nobody left here.
    And before too long, I’ll be gone, too.
    My pulse raced. Tears flowed across my cheeks.

    —I don’t want to be alone. It’s too scary.
    I put my enclosed headphones back on once more, to flee from the world as it was swallowed into its ultimate doom, to attempt to detach myself from it all.
    The radio was already cut off. All that remained now was static.
    “…It’s time to give it up. Everything…”
    The moment I whispered it, I suddenly thought that I heard something.
    Straining my ears, I found it was a voice. A voice speaking to me.
    —Then, in a flash, I realized.
    This was my voice. No one else’s.
    “Hey, can you hear me? There’s something you still have to do before going…Something you have to tell him, right?”

    I couldn’t remember what it was.
    But, for whatever reason, I felt like I understood the meaning behind the warning.

    “It’ll be okay. Trust me. If you can get over that hill, you’ll know what I’m talking about, whether you want to or not. If you stay where you are, you’re gonna disappear. Hey—”

    I wiped away the tears threatening to run down my face once more, then took a deep breath.

    “—You want to survive, don’t you?”

    It was the day the earth came to an end.
    I planted my foot down upon the undulating ground as hard as I could, just as my voice guided me to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kagerou Daze, Vol. 1_ In a Daze

HEADPHONE ACTOR IV

Did my last words make it through?      I no longer had any way of knowing, but they must have. It felt like they did.      I felt oddly strange.      As if I was flying through the sky, or was suspended in a body of lukewarm water…      Indeed, as if I had just woken up from something or other.      My near-exhausted breath, my legs racked with pain, the sense of drowsiness that seemed to forever frustrate me…I didn’t feel any of it now.      Did I die, I wonder?      Is this seemingly infinite darkness what the afterlife is supposed to be…?      I had imagined something a bit more like a fairy tale, somehow. God must’ve fallen asleep at the wheel.      He could have at least turned the lights on for me…      “Ugh, this is making no sense at all to…Huh?! Ah! Ah, ahhh…! Wow, I can talk. Nngh…and I… have a body, too.”      I patted down my body from head to toe, but it seemed I still retained full control of my body and voice.      “Okay, so where am I, then? It doesn’t seem like I’m lo

YUUKEI YESTERDAY II

“Daaang…That girl’s beat thirty-seven in a row…”     “Yeah, I heard from some guy that she actually placed second nationwide in a Dead Bullet -1989- tournament.”     “Dude! Really?! You mean ‘Dancing Flash Ene’?! Man, no wonder she’s so dialed in like that. Whoa, check it out, she beat her high score again! …But why’s she crying, though?”     The science storage room was undoubtedly witnessing the most exciting scene it had ever hosted since the school’s opening.     I kept a firm grip on my controller, unable to wipe the tears away from my eyes.     No matter how hard things got, once I picked up the controller, there was nothing that could take my hands off of it.     That was the credo I lived by as a gamer, something that lay at the root of my personality, and I wasn’t sure I could do anything to break the habit any longer.     The big-screen monitor displayed a hand holding a gun at the bottom, twisting left or right based on my controller input as it shot down the barrage of tar