Skip to main content

AFTERWORD

“A Story that Makes You Want to Cover Your Eyes” 

 
Hello. This is JIN.
    How did Kagerou Daze: In a Daze treat you?

    This project came about when I was invited to write a novel that linked up with “Mekakushi Daze,” my first album. I based it largely off the story elements of four of the tracks in that album.
    Going forward, I’m planning to write out the stories from the rest of the songs in future novels.
    Of course, if this novel winds up being a flop, I might end up writing an (only somewhat) sexy high-school slice-of-life comedy starring a harem of totally normal girls.
    …Not that I would complain too much about that, though.

    This novel marks the first time that the characters from the songs receive full names. I think I did a good job making them sound neat, giving them last names modeled after the Japanese words for flowers and so forth.

    As I was researching these names, I came upon a type of rose known as “chin chin.”
    Rather chic name, isn’t it? It reminded me a bit of “chin chin,” which is how you refer to a…uh, rather less elegant part of the body in Japanese.
    Apparently “chin chin” is how you make a toast in Italian, too.
    I can only guess they got that from the sound of the glasses clinking against each other.

    Getting back to the novel, writing it was a pretty arduous process.
    I thought it was going to kill me, in fact.
    Working on a novel and a new album at the same time, with assorted live events thrown in here and there, made for a packed schedule. I didn’t even have any time to enjoy my chin chin.

    As a result, now that I’m free and have more time on my hands, I’m spending some quality time with my chin chin right now while I write this afterword.
    In fact, I’ve been loving on my chin chin so much, it’s taken nearly two hours to get this far.
    Sorry I’m such a slow writer.

    Oh, I’m talking about the rose, by the way. Got that?

    By the way, if you look up the chin chin on Internet rose databases, they’ll talk about how it has a “faint scent.” Elegant indeed. Like it’s afraid to expose its true self, you could say.

    All this talk about chin chins reminded me of something else. There’s a kind of snack food in Nigeria that’s called chin chin, too. It’s these little balls of dough, fried up so they’re like tiny round cookies.
    I like that name a lot. It makes it sound so…I don’t know. Deluxe.
    Kind of funny they’d give that name to a food, though.

    I’d love to take a trip to Nigeria sometime, taking in the chin chins (roses) while scarfing up as much chin chin (snack) as my mouth could take…Truly, the ideal way to spend an afternoon.

    …Oooops, out of space!
    That about wraps up this elegant, high-class afterword. Hopefully we’ll see each other in the afterword of the next volume…assuming we get the chance!
    Thanks, as always, for your continued support. 


JIN (Shizen no Teki-P)






Thank you for buying this ebook, published by Yen On.


To get news about the latest manga, graphic novels, and light novels from Yen Press, along with special offers and exclusive content, sign up for the Yen Press newsletter.



Or visit us at www.yenpress.com/booklink


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kagerou Daze, Vol. 1_ In a Daze

YUUKEI YESTERDAY II

“Daaang…That girl’s beat thirty-seven in a row…”     “Yeah, I heard from some guy that she actually placed second nationwide in a Dead Bullet -1989- tournament.”     “Dude! Really?! You mean ‘Dancing Flash Ene’?! Man, no wonder she’s so dialed in like that. Whoa, check it out, she beat her high score again! …But why’s she crying, though?”     The science storage room was undoubtedly witnessing the most exciting scene it had ever hosted since the school’s opening.     I kept a firm grip on my controller, unable to wipe the tears away from my eyes.     No matter how hard things got, once I picked up the controller, there was nothing that could take my hands off of it.     That was the credo I lived by as a gamer, something that lay at the root of my personality, and I wasn’t sure I could do anything to break the habit any longer.     The big-screen monitor displayed a hand holding a gun at the bottom, twisting left or right based on my controller input as it shot down the barrage of tar

HEADPHONE ACTOR IV

Did my last words make it through?      I no longer had any way of knowing, but they must have. It felt like they did.      I felt oddly strange.      As if I was flying through the sky, or was suspended in a body of lukewarm water…      Indeed, as if I had just woken up from something or other.      My near-exhausted breath, my legs racked with pain, the sense of drowsiness that seemed to forever frustrate me…I didn’t feel any of it now.      Did I die, I wonder?      Is this seemingly infinite darkness what the afterlife is supposed to be…?      I had imagined something a bit more like a fairy tale, somehow. God must’ve fallen asleep at the wheel.      He could have at least turned the lights on for me…      “Ugh, this is making no sense at all to…Huh?! Ah! Ah, ahhh…! Wow, I can talk. Nngh…and I… have a body, too.”      I patted down my body from head to toe, but it seemed I still retained full control of my body and voice.      “Okay, so where am I, then? It doesn’t seem like I’m lo