Skip to main content

KAGEROU DAZE II

I had a terrible, hateful dream. A dream where you went away, right before my eyes.
    I had it time, and time, and time again.
    I had it yesterday. I saw everything.

    How many times will I have seen it today?
    How many times does yesterday make?

    How many times have we talked to each other in this park?
    It’s the first time for you, maybe, but I lost count long ago.
    I remember talking to you about this before.
    Many times before. And you always believed in me.
    You were always so seriously concerned.

    But every time, you always die in the end.
    When I bring up this topic with you, you get worried for me. You get sad.
    So I decided to stop talking about it any longer.

    It’s all right. Now, it’s all right.
    I’ve even started to like talking to you, here in the park.

    Just listening to you speak is enough.
    You’ve told me the same thing so many times, I’ve memorized every word.
    But that’s fine.
    That’s fine, so I just wanted you to keep talking.

    Because when I hear your voice, I don’t have to listen to the cicadas’ noise.
    Because I can focus on nothing but that voice.
    I look at my watch. It was just about half past noon.

    “Wanna head home?”

    I extended a hand and you grabbed it, looking terribly embarrassed as you did.
    So uncomfortable with me, right up to the end…
    No wonder I was never popular.

    Well, our time’s just about up. Better get going.
    Thanks for everything, Hibiya.

    The noisy cicadas,
    the haze shimmering across the road

    …I hate everything about summer. 



    —As I looked up, the steel pole was just about to land on my face.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kagerou Daze, Vol. 1_ In a Daze

YUUKEI YESTERDAY II

“Daaang…That girl’s beat thirty-seven in a row…”     “Yeah, I heard from some guy that she actually placed second nationwide in a Dead Bullet -1989- tournament.”     “Dude! Really?! You mean ‘Dancing Flash Ene’?! Man, no wonder she’s so dialed in like that. Whoa, check it out, she beat her high score again! …But why’s she crying, though?”     The science storage room was undoubtedly witnessing the most exciting scene it had ever hosted since the school’s opening.     I kept a firm grip on my controller, unable to wipe the tears away from my eyes.     No matter how hard things got, once I picked up the controller, there was nothing that could take my hands off of it.     That was the credo I lived by as a gamer, something that lay at the root of my personality, and I wasn’t sure I could do anything to break the habit any longer.     The big-screen monitor displayed a hand holding a gun at the bottom, twisting left or right based on my controller input as it shot down the barrage of tar

HEADPHONE ACTOR IV

Did my last words make it through?      I no longer had any way of knowing, but they must have. It felt like they did.      I felt oddly strange.      As if I was flying through the sky, or was suspended in a body of lukewarm water…      Indeed, as if I had just woken up from something or other.      My near-exhausted breath, my legs racked with pain, the sense of drowsiness that seemed to forever frustrate me…I didn’t feel any of it now.      Did I die, I wonder?      Is this seemingly infinite darkness what the afterlife is supposed to be…?      I had imagined something a bit more like a fairy tale, somehow. God must’ve fallen asleep at the wheel.      He could have at least turned the lights on for me…      “Ugh, this is making no sense at all to…Huh?! Ah! Ah, ahhh…! Wow, I can talk. Nngh…and I… have a body, too.”      I patted down my body from head to toe, but it seemed I still retained full control of my body and voice.      “Okay, so where am I, then? It doesn’t seem like I’m lo